On September 15 Microsoft released two updates for their on-premises Exchange servers:
- Exchange 2019 Cumulative Update 7
- Exchange 2016 Cumulative Update 18
Note. This is the second-last Cumulative Update for Exchange 2016! As Microsoft has announced earlier, Exchange 2016 will be out of mainstream support this October. The last Cumulative Update is expected in December 2020.
Both updates contain security and nonsecurity updates, the recently released security update for Exchange 2016 and Exchange 2019 that addresses the CVE-2020-16875 vulnerability is also included in these CU’s.
Both updates also contain the latest Daylight Saving Time (DST) Updates.
There are no recent changes in Active Directory for Exchange, so if you are upgrading from Exchange 2019 CU2 (or later) to CU7 then there is no need to run prepare Active Directory (Setup.exe /PrepareSchema, Setup.exe /prepareAD and Setup.exe /prepareDomain). If for some reason the /PrepareAD is triggered, make sure you have sufficient permission to execute this command (member of the Enterprise Admins Security Group).
The same is true when upgrading from Exchange 2016 CU13 or later to Exchange 2016 CU18, there’s no need to run Setup.exe /PrepareSchema, Setup.exe /PrepareAD or Setup.exe /PrepareDomain.
Autodiscover EventID 1 can occur after installing Exchange 2019 CU3 or after installing Exchange 2016 CU14. I’ve blogged about this before on EventID 1 MSExchange Autodiscover. I am not sure if this still is the case 😉.
- Exchange 2019 CU7 is only available on the Volume License Service Center (VLSC)
- Exchange 2016 CU18 – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=102114
- Exchange 2016 CU18 UM Language Pack – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=102115
- Cumulative Update 7 for Exchange Server 2019 – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4571787/cumulative-update-7-for-exchange-server-2019
- Cumulative Update 18 for Exchange Server 2016 – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4571788/cumulative-update-18-for-exchange-server-2016