On September 15 Microsoft released two updates for their on-premises Exchange servers:
- Exchange 2019 Cumulative Update 7
- Exchange 2016 Cumulative Update 18
Note. This is the second-last Cumulative Update for Exchange 2016! As Microsoft has announced earlier, Exchange 2016 will be out of mainstream support this October. The last Cumulative Update is expected in December 2020.
Both updates contain security and nonsecurity updates, the recently released security update for Exchange 2016 and Exchange 2019 that addresses the CVE-2020-16875 vulnerability is also included in these CU’s.
Both updates also contain the latest Daylight Saving Time (DST) Updates.
In earlier posts it was mentioned that no changes in Active Directory are introduced, so there was no need to run Setup with the /PrepareAD and /PrepareDomain option. However, when you check the Microsoft documentation you’ll notice that AD and Domain versions are increased, so this time there is a need to run /PrepareAD and /PrepareDomain. If you run the /PrepareAD, make sure you have sufficient permission to execute this command (member of the Enterprise Admins Security Group).
The same is true when upgrading for Exchange 2016. you must run Setup.exe /PrepareSchema, Setup.exe /PrepareAD or Setup.exe /PrepareDomain.
Autodiscover EventID 1 can occur after installing Exchange 2019 CU3 or after installing Exchange 2016 CU14. I’ve blogged about this before on EventID 1 MSExchange Autodiscover. I am not sure if this still is the case 😉.
- Exchange 2019 CU7 is only available on the Volume License Service Center (VLSC)
- Exchange 2016 CU18 – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=102114
- Exchange 2016 CU18 UM Language Pack – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=102115
- Cumulative Update 7 for Exchange Server 2019 – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4571787/cumulative-update-7-for-exchange-server-2019
- Cumulative Update 18 for Exchange Server 2016 – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4571788/cumulative-update-18-for-exchange-server-2016
Updated on October 30, 2020